The Best Granola Recipe For Camping (Vegan)
In the crunchy world of granola, there’s the granola you buy at the store with stuff you’re not always so sure about, and the granola that you make at home with everything you like at a fraction of the price. No brainer. I always make my granola. It’s darn simple and tastes a lot better.
This recipe is the absolute best granola recipe I’ve ever made and it’s perfect for camping. I cannot count the number of friends and family who’ve asked me for it after tasting it. The camping bit is simple. We love camping and camping requires food that’s easy to pack. Not only does this granola store great for those chilly mornings by the campfire, but it tastes fantastic with a freshly made cup of tea. Crunch, crunch, forest sounds–perfect!
You know what people say. Don’t leave home without it … when going on a camping trip with the kids!
- 3 cups thick rolled oats (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed cardamom pods (optional)
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup chopped dried apricots or dried figs
- Preheat oven at 320F/160C
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon
- Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet as an even layer, roughly ½ inch/1 cm thick
- Bake for 45 minutes, making sure to stir the mixture every 10 minutes so that the granola clumps dry out and bake evenly. I use a large plastic spatula for this.
- Wait until cold to serve
- Serve with Greek yogurt or milk, or just eat as is