From Trail to Table: Wild Garlic Pizza Recipe (Ransoms Pizza)
Wild garlic, also known as ransoms, is a wonderful herb that you can forage in the spring and I picked a bunch yesterday during a picnic near London. Armed with a tote bag, I picked a lot and when I got home, I washed half of it to dry it in my new dehydrator and half of it to eat fresh. The inspiration for this wild garlic pizza came from our Meatless Monday tradition.
We’d already tried wild garlic risotto, wild garlic bread and wild garlic pesto and wanted to try something new. How about a wild garlic pizza? Of course, my girls cheered and clapped. We rarely make pizza at home and this was way more fun than watching the dehydrator wilt and shrink green leaves.
For the recipe, I used puff pastry because I had some in the fridge, but pizza dough or even a buttery tart dough would be great. If using puff pastry, you’ll end up with a rectangular pizza like mine.
If you have lots of wild garlic where you live, this recipe is a great way to get the kids outside. You’ll be like, “Come on, let’s go forage wild garlic for our pizza!” If you’re unsure what wild garlic looks like, here’s a quick guide to wild garlic identification but one thing is certain – it should smell strongly like garlic in nature. That’s uncommon enough that you won’t be mistaken.
Without further ado, here is the recipe.
- 1 pound puff pastry, rolled and pre-cooked until golden
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound/500g mozzarella balls, drained and thickly sliced
- ½ cup/200g sliced mushrooms, baked with olive oil in the oven
- 1 cup wild garlic, leaves and stems, chopped
- 6 small tomatoes (1 pound/450g), thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Cracked salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 240C/450F.
- Spoon tomato sauce generously onto pre-cooked puff pastry.
- Spread sliced mozzarella, then mushrooms, on tomato sauce.
- Arrange tomato slices.
- Add wild garlic on tomatoes and spread evenly.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Slice and serve.