Wookie Cookies Recipe. The Force is Strong with These Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tried and true Wookie Cookies are the staples of my girls’ birthday parties and the best chocolate chip cookies ever. Every year, I get to stay up late and make two full batches of these delicious cinnamon-flavored chocolate chip cookies to be packed for school the next day. My oldest – now 12 – is the biggest fan of these cookies and goes around distributing them to her classmates at recess, like they’re pure gold. This Wookie Cookies recipe, from “The Star Wars Cookbook: Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes,” is as easy as it comes. I always bake twice the number I need because they go so fast. They’re not particularly glam-looking but after the first bite, kids always come back for seconds or thirds. Crunchy outside, buttery all over and with a hint of cinnamon, they’ve drawn more than one adult to ask at kids parties if there were any “left.”
Our Wookie Cookies addiction started when my oldest turned nine. When I asked her what treat she wanted to bring to school, she hesitated between Lammingtons and Wookie Cookies. “Wookie cookies,” she finally said. “I don’t like them,” observed my youngest. “They’re not for you,” replied my 9-year old. And so, I made a full batch of Wookie Cookies. The next morning as I was packing 68 cookies for school in tin boxes, my youngest lingered shyly around the kitchen counter. “Are there any for me too?” she asked. “I thought you didn’t like them?” I said, surprised. “Well, I sort of do. Can I?” I opened the box and discretely slipped 4 cookies for her in a small snack box. Happy campers!
Here is my tweaked recipe based on the one published on Star Wars Holiday Special.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (soft)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (the original recipe uses a mix of milk and semisweet but we’re dark chocolate lovers at home)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/180C.
- Stir the flour with the baking soda, salt, sugars, chocolate chips and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the butter, eggs and vanilla extract until it’s well-blended and creamy.
- Mix the two mixtures until all the dry ingredients have absorbed the butter-egg mixture.
- Using teaspoons or small tablespoons, scoop up small balls of dough onto baking sheets. Be sure to leave about 1 inch between the cookies because they spread as they bake.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
2 thoughts on “Wookie Cookies Recipe. The Force is Strong with These Chocolate Chip Cookies”
Ohhhhhh, I love this cookbook! I worked on it when I worked for Chronicle Books back in the day.
Ooooh, I love it too! I’ve always been fascinated by the idea of the Han-Burgers but haven’t gotten to actual practice yet. You must have had fun!